Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Sore throat persistent, viral, not strep

I am a male 53 years old i have had a sore throat for 2 week went to the dr and they said it was viral not strep the symptoms are not going away. never has a sore throst like this ever
Asked On : Sun, 18 Mar 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum

It is very unusual for a viral infection to stay so long. Viral infection is usually a self-limiting condition and resolves within a week. If the infection is persisting, then it could be a bacterial. I would suggest you to consult your doctor again and request him to prescribe an antibiotic for you.

Apart form this, you need to take anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for reduction of the pain and the inflammation. Drink plenty of warm water, do gargles with povidone iodine solution. Avoid hot and cold food and beverages, smoking and alcohol.

Wish you good health

Answered: Sun, 18 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor