Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Sore ribs after recovering from a fracture. How long will it take to normalize?

I had a horrible collision in ice hockey. Hit primarily my left, lower rib cage. I felt it move just moments after? Doctor examined, fractured, will send for xray , only doesn t always show. It s been going on 3 months of pure FRUSTRATION. Still can t sleep normally on left sie. I can feel and see the difference left/rifht ribs? It gets sore if I exercise. I am NOT palying hockey, I couldn t t imagine being hit there again. My cat walks on it and it hurts. Have rested, iced, heated... Just done. Thank you, sincerely Andi
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  94
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
I assume that you have fractured ribs, which was not properly reviewed and treated.
X-Ray will clearly reveal how many ribs are fractured and their displacement.
Antibiotic, anti inflammatory pain killers and local application of pain killing gel, application of ice and hot water fomentation and rest to that area by compression bandage are the treatment.
Correct approximation of the fractured site is not needed.
As you say 3 months are over after the injury – Take a Check X-Ray to analyze the fractured ribs and plan for further management. Usually surgery is not needed. Regarding the duration of rest what games to be avoided – discuss with your doctor. Why frustration for this.
Best wishes
Answered: Sat, 27 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor