Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Sonogram, Abdomen development 2 weeks behind. Shall i visit specialist doctor?

I went for a routine sonogram at 32 weeks. It was a 3-D sonogram. Heart rate and head and limb development was normal, but they abdomen was 2 weeks behind in development. The doctor wants to do weekly sonograms to monitor the baby and suggested I might need to deliver early. Should I meet with a specialist. They said I shouldn t worry, but I am very concerned. I was also told I have very mild pre-eclampsia .
Asked On : Fri, 8 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  21
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
OBGYN 's  Response
Mar 2013
Thank you for your query.
Growth of the baby that is less than the 10th percentile is called IUGR or intra uterine growth restriction.
One type of IUGR is when the head grows normally, but the abdominal growth lags behind.
This is called asymmetrical IUGR and is common in later pregnancy.
Common causes include maternal diseases like hypertension, diabetes, renal or liver disease, placental dysfunction etc.
The cause for asymmetrical IUGR in your case is mild pre eclampsia.
I would definitely advise seeing a specialist, as IUGR can have many adverse outcomes on the baby.
Serial monitoring with ultrasound and colour doppler, preterm delivery if indicated, steroid cover to enhance lung maturity, controlling your hypertension - are some of the interventions suggested.
Take care.
Answered: Fri, 8 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor