Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Son got bite by a dog, what should I do ?

Son got bite by a dog I cleaned it out. but onow thats its been a couple of hours it is swelled up. he is crying that it hurts. he got bite in the bend of the first finger. all I know is that its hurting him he is only 19 months old. what should I do ?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Jan 2010
Answers:  3 Views:  428
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
  User's Response

First, clean and wash the wound gently with a quaternary soap like normal (regular) Lifebuoy soap and water fifty times.

Do not cover the wound as the rabies virus dies on contact with air.

Did the dog bite without provocation? Can that dog be identified and tied up for observation for ten days? 

If he bled from the wound, then it is a Class III bite. Please arrange for Post-exposure Rabies Vaccination. The new vaccines are given in a small dose intra-muscularly in the arm or thigh. Anti-Tetanus Vaccine may also be given if your son's normal immunization schedule has not covered it.

He will require a painkiller. Please consult your Paediatrician.

Answered: Sat, 9 Jan 2010
  User's Response

A BITE WOUND FROM A SUSPECTED RABID ANIMAL SHOULD NOT BE SUTURED, especially in the first 48 to 72 hours as there is a danger of driving the virus deeper into the body tissue !

Answered: Sat, 9 Jan 2010
  Anonymous's Response

the bite of the dog can give rise t disease called rabies which is 100% fatal. so the priority is to prevent from the disease. get the vaccination done. as the bite is on the site of a finger joint the teeth might have entered into the joint space. so get it examined by the doctor preferabbly a surgeon and a orthopadecian. it might require opening of the joint and debriding and than suturing. the doctor who examines will decide the appropriate next step

Answered: Sat, 9 Jan 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor