Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Snoring. Sleep disturbance. Concerned, thoughts?

I am a 33 year old woman. I have been with my husband for over 8 years. Just in the past few months I have started snoring (per my husband) but it has gotten so bad, that it wakes me several times in the night, and keeps my husband from getting proper rest. Should I be concerned? I've tried laying on my side with a body pillow, more water intake, I don't drink alcohol often enough, and normally not at night. I keep a humidifier in the room and occasionally run it on dry nights. The only thing I haven't tried is nasal strips, which I will tonight, but I'm more concerned about the fact that I started snoring in the first place. Thoughts?
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  47
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi there, thanks for asking. Nasal strip is something you can try. There is a nasal device that you should ask the doctor to prescribe for you. Its name is EPAP or expiratory positive airway pressure. It treats snoring in many occasions, but it should be given after a full assessment. Sometimes, the doctor suggest you to use another device if the degree of the problem is more severe. I wish you a good health.
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Pooja Reddy's  Response
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your query in detail.
Snoring is a very common thing affecting many people. I understand that you have tried many things for reducing it but still it persists. Nasal strip is a good way of reducing snoring.
It becomes only bothersome if it effects your sleep and leads to repeated awakenings. More so some times it may be a presentation of sleep apnoe.
Excess weight caould also be a reason for your snoring. many people who have reduced their weight were successful in stoping the snoring. Its difficult to reduce the weight, but why not give it a try.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
Wish you good health,
Dr. Pooja Reddy M.D.
Answered: Thu, 2 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Srinivasa S.R.R.Y.'s  Response
Thanks for writing to Health Care magic
Breathing problems during sleep (as happened in ur case) are usually first noticed by a vigilant bed partner. The reason for ur snoring could be "obstructive sleep apnoea", a common respiratory problem. It is also called "sleep disordered breathing". This results from closing of airway during sleep, resulting in snoring and breathlessness. The sleep is also disturbed and not refreshing. (Makes us awake several times) Nocturnal drooling and mouth dryness if present indicate that ur breathing with ur mouth. Fatigue, aches and pains, memory loss etc are other common symptoms.Obesity, advancing age, nasal obstruction, cold are common risk factors for this problem. Try excercising and reducing weight if ur obese. Consultation with a good sleep specialist would identify the cause.
Answered: Sat, 27 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Michelle Gibson James's  Response
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Snoring occurs because of turbulent airflow occurring during sleep.
Though it can occur on its own and may not be associated with serious illness or consequences, snoring can sometimes be related to a condition called obstructive sleep apnoea.

Sleep apnoea refers to episodes where there a decrease or cessation of breathing.
In addition to snoring other symptoms would be : daytime sleepiness resulting in poor judgement or problems focusing, restless sleep,high blood pressure, morning headaches, neck wider than 16 inches, excess weight.
It would diagnosed by using screening questionnaires and a sleep study.

You may want to consider visiting your doctor for an evaluation.

I hope this helps
Answered: Sat, 27 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor