Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Small round pocket of fluid on lower front tooth gum, receding gum. Reason, treatment?

Hi, my 8 year old had a small round pocket of fluid on his lower front tooth gum. It went dark and then seemed to get better but then the gum disappeared in that spot. Now his gum is quite lower than the gum on his other teeth . The dentist hasn t said anything but I am worried that it seems to be receding more. Any idea what this could be? What can we do for this? Is there treatment so he doesn t loose his tooth?
Asked On : Fri, 31 Aug 2012
Answers:  9 Views:  439
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Thanks for the query
As it seems that his gingiva(gum) is fragile so may be he has juvenile localised periodontitis.
Consult a dentist for scaling and polishing to control recedding of gums.
Give him nutritious diet and more of citrus fruits.
Maintain his oral hygiene .
Take care
Answered: Fri, 12 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Prachi Mishra's  Response
hello friend
pocket of fluid around any tooth indicates periodontitis . you shuold consult your dentist and opt for scaing and root planing even curettage can help.
take care
Answered: Mon, 22 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Palvi 's  Response
thanks for the query...
you should go for proper clinical examination... recession is a serious issue and it needs proper diagnosis...
it can be due to two reasons...
due to presence of plaque and calculus... in that case it will require scaling and root planing...
it can be due to trauma from occlusion i.e. his upper front teeth are hitting the lower front teeth causing trauma to them...
so go for proper treatment...
hope it will help...
take care....
Answered: Tue, 23 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Palvi 's  Response
thanks for the query...
just go for scaling and root planing once and maintain good oral hygiene afterwards...
use soft tooth brushes...
and most importantly, please visit you dentist after every 3-6 months to get your child's tooth checked for any increased recession or mobility...
it should be back to its position after scaling and root planing... if any progression is seen, the cause has to be ruled out like shallow vestibule or trauma from occlusion etc... but don't worry... every situation is treatable by simple procedures... just make sure, you visit your dentist regularly...
take care...

Answered: Sat, 13 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Sapna Purwaha's  Response
dere is nothing to panic.this condition is called juvenile
localised periodontitis.treatment includes scaling of teeth
pf that area .use mouthwash regularly.use soft baby brushes
to brush that area.vitamin and iron supplements will also
help.floss your teeth regularly.
Answered: Tue, 4 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM forum,
according to the dental history provided by you it seems to be a case of juvenile localised periodontitis,
it happens when the oral hygiene is not proper, therefore i would recommend professional scaling of teeth, as well as twice/day brushing of teeth.
do not worry, the gum will revert back to its normal position after cleaning.
i hope your son does not have any oral habit like gingival stripping, some kids have a habit of picking/scratching their gums with their nail, this can also cause recession of the gum.
i hope i answered your query,
i wish you good health,
take care.
Answered: Sat, 1 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

According to your clinical symptoms i suspect that your child has developed a localised periodontitis, it can be due to poor oral hygiene, plague and calculus deposition.
I would suggest you to take your child to the Dentist and get complete mouth scaling and polishing done.
Develop your child a habit of brushing teeth twice daily, use antiseptic mouthwash rinses.
Give him a complete balanced diet, plenty of water, fruits, juices.
Take your child every six months to the Dentist for routine dental checkup.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Sun, 21 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
hello and welcome,
your son is suffering from 'localised periodontitis'of gums.check
whether your son has a history of fracture/gum infection/decayed tooth.
it can also be due to poor oral hygiene maintenance.
accmulation food debris called plaque has formed around the marginal gingiva.due to absess and pocket formation,there gingival recession occured ,which has caused the receding or lowering of gum level.
thorough scaling and root planning has to be done to remove the plaque around the tooth.
if the tooth is mobile heavily,then splinting of tooth should be done.
if tooth is slightly mobile,it will become firm once the gum infection subside and the gum becomes firm and resilient.
use soft interdental brush and dental floss to clean the teeth.
Answered: Fri, 31 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Localized pocket around the lower teeth could be due to two of them is that,sometimes pooling of saliva occurs there and it regresses on its own.

The second reason is that,it can occur due to local calculus deposition.

This can be done by locally cleaning the area by the dentist .Later on antiseptic solution can be applied there.

The second reason appears to be the cause in your sons case.

Therefore please get it examined for the same and treated.


Take care.
Answered: Fri, 12 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor