Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Small lump in front of ear, headaches, shooting pain. Should I visit a neurologist?

I have a small lump in front of my ear like the others have said. When I went to the doctor I asked if it was a lymph node and he said it was too high to be a lymph node. it has been there since September and I used to get headaches and pains from the area but recently I haven t. Is this something I should go to a neurologist about?
Asked On : Thu, 14 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  587
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Most common--a lymph node. they aften get larger with inflammation and should go down when the inflammatin is gone. This is the area of the parotid gland, one of the major salivary glands (it gets big in kids with mumps). The gland can get tumors--most are not cancer, but they need to be evaluated (ultrasound, CT scan, possible biopsy with a needle, and removal with sugery). A less common cause would be a cyst that is a remnant form your embryologic developement (preauricular cyst/sinus or type 1 branchial cleft cyst).
Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Gustav Gous's  Response
Thank you for your query.
Any tumor (lump) you might have is abnormal. If the doctor does not think it is a lymph node then a diagnosis needs to be made. There are basically two ways of going about this 1) non-invasive for instance by using ultrasound 2) invasive , by cutting it out or taking a biopsy. The important point is that a diagnosis needs to be made, whatever needs to be done to arrive at the diagnosis, one can't just leave it.
I trust this information is helpful.
Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor