Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Small cyst around labia, infected hair follicles, sore to touch. What are treatment options other than surgery?

I will be 60 this year. Like most women, I have had small cyst-like bumps around my labia come up over the years which appeared to be infected hair follicles and disappeared as quickly as they came up. These rarely happened. I ve had 2 children in my 20 s and have had an uneventful menopause ... Very mild. . In the last 5 months, I have had red to purple, node-like bumps come in the labial area on bothe sides. They come up in various sizes, are sometimes sore to the touch. They can diminish within a week of appearing, but move around. From 1 to 4 appear at a time. I believe these are angiokeratomas . I ve tried heat, dry to moist, and natural remedies, but they won t go away. I ve heard there is no cure except surgery. I find this unacceptable. It s embarrasing and concerning to me and my husband, especially during love making. I ve kept the area shaved to facilitate treatment. Can anyone help, please? I can t afford surgery and don t want to go that route anyway. By the way, I am a former nurse. Thanks in advance...L
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  178
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The small cyst near the labia could be an infected bartholin's cyst. The infected hair follicles and the cyst need a broad spectrum systemic antibiotic to take care of the infection.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. RakhiTayal
Answered: Tue, 13 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
From history it seems that you might be having recurrent ingrown hair follicle infection.
As you are in menopause there is likely of having some atrophic changes in vaginal mucous membrane causing atrophic vaginitis due to estrogen depletion.
you can apply Estrogen cream like novelon after consulting your Gynaec.
For having acute local infection, a course of antibiotic medicine prescribed by your doctor will give good relief.
Keep local hygiene clean, dry and airy.
Ok and take care.
Answered: Tue, 13 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor