Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Small, circular, bubbly, painful rash that is increasing in size, habit of frequent outdoor hiking, no change in routine products. Cause?

I have a small, circular rash that s formed on my upper back over the last week. I first noticed it about 4-5 days ago when there was no obvious sign of rash, just minor itchiness and a couple of bumps. Now there a distinct red circle of bumps about the circumference of a soda can, maybe a little smaller. Their appearance is a bit bubbly but does not contain puss from what I can tell. This rash hurts more than it itches. It doesn t itch hardly at all, and I d say the pain level is about a 1-2 (on a scale of 1-10). The rash has grown in size each day, but not significantly (maybe a 1/2 inch in diameter over the last 3 days). There is also a similar onset of bumps and tingling beginning to form just beneath my armpit. In the past couple of weeks I have done a lot of hiking outdoors and in secluded forest-like areas. I have not changed soaps or anything along those lines recently. After doing some simple research on the internet I m still rather clueless as to what this rash could be.
Asked On : Fri, 25 May 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  350
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
I have gone through your query.
Based on the description and sites of lesion, it is highly likely to be a fungal infection Tenia corporis( Ring worm).

It is a common fungal infection, usually seen on areas of body where there is moisture like underarms, groin region, finger spaces. But it can present virtually anywhere on the body. As you have been experiencing less itching and more pain it could be due to a wild strain ( as ou have mentioned that you have done hiking and secluded in forest areas).

Do not worry. Using topical preparations that contains anti fungal( clotrimazole, micanazole or ketoconazole), a steroid ( betamethasone ot triamcinilone or clobetasone) and an antibiotic ( neomycin or gentamycin) should help you.

If you have severe pain using NSAIDS like Aceclofenac or diclofenac along with serratio peptidase will help you.

But please see a Dermatologist to rule out other possibilities for the lesions ( as i did not see the lesion i can not be accurate with my diagnosis but probabality of you having ring worm infection is high) and get treated accordingly.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Take Care
Answered: Fri, 25 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor