Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Small child, suffering from AVM, slow growth, loss of appetite, less weight. Treatment?

Hi my baby girl was diagnosed with an Avm that is making her grow slow and se is verry behind with her milestones she is almost 8months old and cant sit yet an she does not want to eat baby food at all she just spits it out! I realy neeed some help is there fomething with more nutrition that i can give her. She only weihgs ab out 6.6 kg
Asked On : Wed, 16 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi... Welcome to Thank you for giving me this opportunity to clarify your doubt about your child's nutritional status.
Well, as per her age, she is expected to weigh atleast 8.5kg as against her current weight which is 6.6kg. Well, she definitely needs a good nutrition. First of all,i would like to know what food are you giving her?? What does baby food exactly mean?
Well, by 8 months of age, a baby can have rice dal, fruits (banana, boiled apple, oranges, papaya), a few vegetables boiled and smashed, chicken soup (if you are a non-veg), egg by next month, and so on.... The most important thing while feeding new food items is that you should introduce 1 new food at a time, give it for a week and see if she likes it and tolerates it... Gradually, by 1 year of age, she should be eating little little of all that you eat.! Before declaring that your child doesnt like a particular food, you should try it on her atleast 7 different times.
Well, so thats about her nutrition. About her AVM part, i think you should see a concerned specialist which i suppose you must be already seeing.
About the delayed milestones, sometimes a mild delay can be seen in children with failure to thrive (i.e. not gaining adequate weight). In case after adequate nutrition also if her weight doesnt pick and she doesnt catch up on her milestones, you might have to see a pediatrician close to your place, with whom you can keep a constant follow up.
I hope i have been successful in clarifying all your doubts. I will be always available for any further queries and doubts of yours. Take care and stay healthy.
Answered: Thu, 17 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor