Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Small child, severe loose motions. Taking ORS, bacillius suspension. Will metrogyl suspension help?

My 1 year 6 months old baby boy weighing around 10.3 KG had almost loose motion for 8-10 times today. We are giving ORS (Walyte,2 sachets each with 200ml water given) and Bacillius Suspension (Enterogermina, 1 dose of 5ml) as suggested by doctor. But the frequency of loose motion has increased for past 2-3 hrs . Is it advisable to give him Metrogyl suspension (its available with me). Please suggest and what should be the quantity.
Asked On : Thu, 1 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  333
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response

The most common cause of loose stools in a kid less than 2 years is virus. So metrogyl is not needed.
Metrogyl is given only for amoebic dysentry.
Continue to give ORS, Enterogermina as recommended.
Be sure that he takes adequate fluids like ORS, water, vegetable soups etc.
Give him lot of curd as it contains probiotics naturally.
You may give him rice based food. Avoid fruit juices and formula milk as they may increase the frequency of loose stools. You can continue to breast feed if he is on breast milk.
At any time if you feel he is tired, drowsy, urine output is less or has dry skin and mouth, refusing feeds please take him to your doctor immediately.
Hope you find my answer helpful.
Answered: Fri, 2 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor