Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Small child, head injury, bump on head, swelling, bruising. Medical attention needed?

My two year old just fell backwards and banged his head on the top of a radiator he cried but has stopped now and is just sat quietly the bump on his head looks pretty bad it raised straight away and has what looks like a bruise , its just at the top on the back of his head should i go get him checked out or just keep an eye on him?
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  45
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Thanks for your query.
as mentioned by you your child had a fall and there is hematoma formation at injury site,
I advise you to apply cold compresses over affected area,give paracetamol for pain relief.You should watch for warning signs that is
vomiting,altered behavior,any bleeding from ear or nose,and in case you observe any take him to doctor.
Your child will be fine
God bless,
Answered: Tue, 8 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
That bump is called contusion and is due to formation of hematoma(collection of blood) in scalp layers over the skull bones.
If there are no vomitings, no abnormal movements, no alteration in sensorium and no paucity of movements nothing to worry.
But keep under observation for any above abnormal symptoms and behavoir and if you find any report immediately to your Pediatrician or Emergency department.
Answered: Tue, 8 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor