Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Small child, forehead injury, bruise, permanent bump on injury site. Medical attention required?

Hello, I have a 3 year old son, and about 5 months ago he was hit in the forehead by a metal gate that swung open very fast. He got a bruise/bump on his head very quickly, but he jumped up and wanted to keep playing, so we didn t think it was that serious... however, now 5 months later he has what appears to be a permanent bump on his forehead in the same spot (no discoloring). Is this serious? should it be checked by a doctor?
Asked On : Mon, 17 Sep 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  286
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician, Surgery 's  Response
Dear Mr Wilson

Most falls in childhood do heal well by themselves and that is most likely what has happened in the case of your son. However, the lump you see at the same spot may be a healing at the site of a small fracture. This is usually nothing to worry about and it will even out in the future. However, it is prudent to consult a doctor so that he can confirm that this is indeed healing bone (callus). There is a small possibility that this may be a dermoid cyst or inclusion dermoid, both swellings common in children on the head and it may be that the fall has only made it obvious to you since you are concerned about the region. For both reasons, it is worthwhile paying a visit to your local doctor. Please keep me posted if you have any further queries.

Answered: Sat, 22 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician, Neonatology Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth's  Response
Yes, you have to show him to a doctor because the small bumps which come after a fall will resolve within a few days.5 months is to long a period to wait.
This may be an unrelated problem!
So better to get medical advice!
All the best
Answered: Sat, 22 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor