Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Small child, congenital ptosis in left eye, left cheek is smaller, left ear positioned differently. Treatment?

Hi my son is 6 months old. He has congenital ptosis in left eye. When I look at him in the mirror is left cheek is smaller than his right cheek. Also, it looks as if his left ear is positioned differently, almost pushed in. His pediatrician said he looks fine, but I m wondering if I should ask for a referral to a specialist.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  67
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi Ms. Jenlea,
Thanks for posting your query on and giving us this opportunity to clarify your doubt.
Well, if your son, 6months old, has congenital ptosis and if you suspect that there is some inequality in both the halves of the face, there can be many such genetic conditions which are linked to such abnormalities. I would definitely recommend you to see a specialist at least once and get your doubts clarified. Though there are many questions which will follow, like :

1) Is there any family history of genetic conditions?
2) What is your and your husbands age?
3) Is this your first child, if not how are your previous baby / babies?
4) Any history of exposure to specific drugs or chemicals or radiations during your pregnancy?
5) What is his weight and is he developmentally appropriate for his age?

All these questions, may help us clarify your doubt better, but in any case i think you should see a specialist to do justice with your doubts. I hope i have helped you solve your confusion and also helped you come to a decision. I will always be available for any further queries of yours. Take care and stay healthy.
Answered: Thu, 17 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor