Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Skin getting tanned. White spots on skin. How to protect skin from sun?

hi, Dr. XXXXX, I m Amal. Nair from India. I have a query on my skin problem, I hope you wil guide me better. i cant bear the sun exposure and due to UV rays my skin is getting darker and i also have white spots on my skin, i mean on the hand were the skin is tanned and is darker. please help me out on this query and give me some medications to keep my skin protected from sun and get fairer. thank you
Asked On : Sun, 18 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  48
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Jul 2012
Hi there Amal Nair

I apologise for answering as this query seems to be directed at Dr Grief but sadly on a public forum, it is not requisite for us to answer & at times we may not even know until & unless the moderator directs the query to the particular doctor, so if you permit me, shall make an attempt to answer your query.

The best case scenario for you in the situation you described would be to apply a good quality sunscreen with an SPF of at least 20-30 assuming you have an Asian skin type; This will have to be applied & stay on your skin from dawn to dusk & reappiled ideally each 3-4 hrs & in sufficient quantities.
Moreover, if the face/hands are washed, sweating or swimming, then it has to be reappiled & it ideally has to be applied at least 20 mts before sun exposure.

There are various brands of sunscreens in India & one will have to choose based on individual aesthetic senses & the cost factor. My personal favourite is an international brand from a company called Bioderma that is now available in India. They have tinted & non-tinted varities & for your case a particular brand called 'Spot cream' or lotion that contains a built in pigment lightening agent ;-)

Cheers & Good Luck & wish you a radiant skin!

Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist
Vikram Hospital, Bangalore, India.
Answered: Tue, 20 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor