Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Shoulder pain. Wore a sling. Not helpful. What can be done now?

I fell off my bed and landed on my left shoulder . Now it hurts to lift my arm and I can t raise it over the hight of my shoulders. What should I do? I don t want to go to the doctors so should I just wear a sling for a day to two and see how it feels after and then maybe consider seeing a doctor? Do you have any idea as to what I could have done to it? It s not bruised at all I just can t move it and I hurts when I m just sitting still sometimes.
Asked On : Wed, 20 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  65
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Welcome to the forum.
It might be soft tissue injury or fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid weight lifting and rest well.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Thu, 21 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Achuo Ascensius's  Response
Hello, thanks for using HCM.
From your description you must be in severe pains and you are probably suffering from an injury to the rotator cuff muscles which are a set of muscles that help in rotation of the shoulder and also in raising the arm above the shoulder. the lesion could vary from a simple contusion of muscles to severe lesions such as a torn ligament. Pain that is associated with a ligament or bone injury appears immediately following the trauma and usually is accompanied with swelling and loss or reduced function at the particular joint.
You should consider seeing a doctor at least for an initial examination and for an x-ray that would rule out fractures or dislocations and will prompt immediate special treatment if need be rather than waiting for a couple of days in which case you might aggravate the lesion.
For the main time, you should maintain the sling and get some pain killers like paracetamol and codeine tablets to control the pain as you go to see your doctor.
Best regards and hope this helps.
Answered: Wed, 20 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor