Should the NHS pay for a heart operation needed by a smoker ?

Should the NHS pay for a heart operation needed by a smoker? NHS being the national health service (in the UK). Do smokers deserve to have a heart operation if it is their fault that they smoke ?
Thu, 10 Dec 2009
's  Response
No. Infact, in the UK, a cardiac surgeon will refuse to operate on a person who still smokes - that has been the policy for several years. People often try to campare this senario with liver disease caused by drinking etc...etc... but they dont understand the crux of the problem. Smoking Kills you - its a fact and its printed on packets of cigarettes. If a person, by their own free will and foolishness, decides to deliberately inhale a cocktail of lethal chemicals then they should pay for the consequences of their actions.