Should the ER be visited for soreness and swelling on the legs after an injury?

Hello! I injured my knee and have been wearing a brace and using crutches per the orthopedic dr’s recommendation... today my calf on the injured leg started hurting and is a bit swollen. The dr said to go to the ER if it got swollen and red (I had a pulmonary embolism a few months ago).... It’s now sore and swollen, but not red or warm... and it’s the weekend, so I can’t call! Do I go to the ER to make sure it’s not another clot, or am I overreacting?
Mon, 27 Aug 2018

The pain you are feeling today on the injured leg is not a good sign. It is indicating there is a possibility of clotting especially if it is swollen. As you have a recent history of pulmonary embolism (a few month ago), I highly recommend to go to ER and run Doppler ultrasound of the leg immediately to rule out any possible complication like clotting. Meanwhile, keep your leg well raised and follow your orthopedic doctor's advice.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.