Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

134 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Should the ER be visited for severe pain in the right shoulder?

Hello I have pain in my right shoulder and arm I can still move my arm around but it’s hurt really bad I thought it might be dislocated but I don’t think that’s the case nothing looks out of place and I can move my arm but it hurts lifting it above my haead and even more asi bring my arm down. Don’t know if I should go in to a urgent care?
Mon, 27 Aug 2018
Report Abuse
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response

You may be developed supraspinatus bursitis or supraspinatus tendinitis or infection or rotator cuff injury etc.

Until examination is done it is difficult to say what it is. Take rest, use shoulder support and avoid lifting the arm above head. Use tablet Tramadol with Paracetamol. Use cold and heat compression.

If symptoms not improved please consult your doctor he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi! I have recently been in a lot of pain, in my shoulder area. at first when it began a few weeks ago I thought it was just tendinitis so I treated it as that and it slowly started going away. until on monday(april 23rd) I was practicing my dances with my parter and I went in for a cradle and when I was holding myself up by my right shoulder it poped and I have been in severe pain since. it hurts to sleep on it and if it isn’t in a certain position it hurts. i’m limited to only moving my arm up to about a 70 degree angle until the pain starts increasing. the pain is in my underarm, shoulder blade and occasionally my upper shoulder and collarbone. I am very low on funds right now and I would like to know if this is something I should go to the doctor for, or if I should just treat it at home. Thank you!

doctor1 MD

I went to ER early Tues morning for severe pain in my right shoulder area. The pain is located in my back shoulder bone area. It does not radiate. When it starts hurting, the pain is severe. It can last for a short time or for several minutes and then it lessens. The ER did a chest Xray. I m assuming it is ok because they did not give me any results. I went and saw my family Dr yesterday and he ordered an ultrasound of my gallbladder. It is scheduled for noon today. I have had no vomiting or temp. He also gave me a prescription for Percocet and a muscle relaxer. It works great for a couple of hours and then I m hurting again. Anything else I should be doing that might help with the pain until I get the ultrasound results back ? Thanks for your help

doctor1 MD

My son is 12 years old. We visited his doctor today because he has been having stomach pains since Tuesday. They ruled out a bad appendix and ruled out strep throat. They said it is most likely a virus.... He is having bad pains right now with added back pain..... should I take him to the ER?