Should the ER be visited for intense knee pain after an injury?

I twisted my knee, almost falling but was able to keep from going down. I felt a pop and intense pain in the outside of my knee, right around the bone that sticks out the most. But after standing for a few minutes I was able to walk. half hour later, could walk straight, but getting in and out of truck, standing up from chair or turning at all is VERY painful and I have the sensation that it will give out. Should i seek medical attention or just ice it and elevate?
Tue, 24 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Went through your post ,knee being a weight bearing joint can not and should not be ignored there is always a possibility of ligament or meniscal injury so an MRI will confirm the problem and help in diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.