Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

165 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Should medical tests be done for pain and swelling in the joints while suffering from rheumatoid arthritis?

I have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis but feel there is still something else going on....I have the joint pain, swelling and fatigue but also have a itchy, burning rash around my nose moving up towards my eyes. I have used everything with no results. I also have severe tingling in my left arm that comes and goes but now starting in my right arm. I have random sharp pains in my feet, painful hip. My eyelids feel very heavy. Could the doctor have missed something? Are there more blood tests that should be done? I am a 62 year old female
Thu, 8 Nov 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response

When you have been diagnosed with RA, obviously who have had diagnostic tests like CRP, anti-CCP, ESR (elevated) already done. Joint stiffness & swelling, fatigue, fever or weight loss are symptoms of RA. Take the medications as prescribed & do joint exercises (consult physiotherapist) as suggested to get relieve.

If you are diabetic, take proper medications & keep your sugar levels under control. Severe tingling in the arms & pain in the feet may be the indications of developing peripheral neuropathy.

Sometimes neurological problems can cause itching in the face (Trigeminal nerve-neurological itch). It will be better if you get all the Nerve function tests (EMG & Nerve conduction study) done.

Consult a Neurologist & get treated. In the meantime take vitamin B6, B12 with Folic acid.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Nupur K,
General & Family Physician
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Shinas Hussain's  Response

You can consult your doctors and plan for an MRI scan. Most probably it will be due to the fluid collection as a part of arthritis.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take care

Dr Shinas Hussain, General & Family Physician
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I am 68 years old vegetarian male, height 165 cms, weight 66 kgs and suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis since last 10 years. Main areas of the body which are affected are - Both Ankles, Both Wrists, Both Thumbs and Two Fingers in left hand. A Few Orthopedics I had consulted invariably put me on one or the other pain killer which had no long term benefit or relief. On the contrary, two years ago, suddenly I started feeling very weird in my head and entire body. After going through MRI, Blood and other tests, I was diagnosed with Hematoma and had to undergo brain surgery. Within one month of the operation, I was back to normal - I thank God, my family members, the Neurologist and the Surgeon for all this success. Since than, I have almost stopped taking Pain Killers unless absolutely required for stiffness, pain and swellings, although I know it gives only temporary relief and Adverse Side Effects in bonus! Now another Doctor has suggested me to consult Rheumatologist, but I am unable to find one where I live. Can any Rheumatologist suggest me appropriate cure for this ailment with all DO s and DONT s, the food, medicines etc I should consume and all the relevant information with details? Is this disease really non-curable? I would certainly and very much appreciate it. Sincerely, B.J. Trivedi.

doctor1 MD

I m a 20 year old female south Asian suffering from bone pain in legs and arms.. I have been diagnosed with sciatica and have a constant burning/mildly painful sensation in my lower back hip.. Recently these bone pains have become a bit disturbing and happen mainly in my thighs, arms, and collar bone. My doctors are testing for rheumatoid arthritis but I keep insisting that the pain is not in my joints. Can I get some help?

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My mother is having Rheumatoid arthritis for a last three years. She took the following drugs as per general physican for last three years ( Shelcal os,medrol,hcqs,folvite, neotrexate,hifenac-p) . Recently she was feeling pain and swelling at the various joint so last month we consulted with a specialized doctor and he prescribed ( nucoxia 60 and frusemide 40mg) but her swelling and pain increased in such a level that she could not walk properly. If you kindly suggest what we should do and to whom I consult. Thanks .