Should medical tests be done for pain and swelling in the joints while suffering from rheumatoid arthritis?

I have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis but feel there is still something else going on....I have the joint pain, swelling and fatigue but also have a itchy, burning rash around my nose moving up towards my eyes. I have used everything with no results. I also have severe tingling in my left arm that comes and goes but now starting in my right arm. I have random sharp pains in my feet, painful hip. My eyelids feel very heavy. Could the doctor have missed something? Are there more blood tests that should be done? I am a 62 year old female
Thu, 8 Nov 2018

When you have been diagnosed with RA, obviously who have had diagnostic tests like CRP, anti-CCP, ESR (elevated) already done. Joint stiffness & swelling, fatigue, fever or weight loss are symptoms of RA. Take the medications as prescribed & do joint exercises (consult physiotherapist) as suggested to get relieve.

If you are diabetic, take proper medications & keep your sugar levels under control. Severe tingling in the arms & pain in the feet may be the indications of developing peripheral neuropathy.

Sometimes neurological problems can cause itching in the face (Trigeminal nerve-neurological itch). It will be better if you get all the Nerve function tests (EMG & Nerve conduction study) done.

Consult a Neurologist & get treated. In the meantime take vitamin B6, B12 with Folic acid.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Nupur K,
General & Family Physician Dr. Shinas Hussain's  Response

You can consult your doctors and plan for an MRI scan. Most probably it will be due to the fluid collection as a part of arthritis.

Dr Shinas Hussain, General & Family Physician