Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Should a person with mononucleosis go to public places like school or work?

Hello, I am doing a research paper on Mononucleosis and I need to know some answers to a few questions pertaining to this disease: 1. Should a person with this infection continue going to public places such as school or work? 2. Can you get this disease again onced you ve had it before? 3. How long does it take to treat the disease? 4. How can it be prevented? 5. What is the proper treatment for someone who has it?
Asked On : Wed, 24 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thank you for your question.
1: Patients with this infection can continue to visit public places, as the virus is spread mainly through saliva (kissing), and even room-mates of patients are not at a higher risk of getting infected( according to a recent study)
2:Reinfection is possible but improbable
3:Acute symptoms resolve within 2 weeks, although tiredness and fatigue may persist for a month,or in some cases, longer.ATHLETES SHOULD AVOID CONTACT SPORTS WITHIN THE FIRST TWO WEEKS!!! for fear of rupturing their spleen!! This fact cannot be over-emphasized!!
4:There is no vaccine available, exercising caution and gaining education about transmission are the best weapons we have.
5:Treatment is symptomatic, Acetaminophen, adequate fluids and nutrition and adequate rest(complete bed rest is not necessary)
Answered: Fri, 26 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor