Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

171 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Should a doctor be consulted for rapid weight gain along with dry skin and low libido?

I have just recently started gaining weight rapidly. I feel bloated after every meal. My appetite has increased. I have dry skin. I am post-menopausal. I have no libido. I have no energy. I am depressed and anxious, mainly due to the rapid weight gain. I haven t changed my diet in years. I eat no/low carb diet. It sounds like hypothyroidism to me, so I ve been taking iodine and thyroid supplements, but I still feel terrible. Should I see a doctor?
Fri, 17 Aug 2018
Report Abuse
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

The hormonal changes of menopause might make you more likely to gain weight around your abdomen than around your hips and thighs. But, hormonal changes alone don't necessarily cause menopause weight gain. Instead, the weight gain is usually related to aging, as well as lifestyle and genetic factors. Also reduce the sugar consumption, cut calories,do regular exercise, limit alcohol and check your hormonal status.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I am concerned with my rapid weight gain, I gained almost 20 lbs since March, even though I don t eat too badly and exercise. Also, my legs swell from the morning to the evening much more than usual. What could be the reason and what doctor specialist should I seek?

doctor1 MD

Hi. I m concerned about thyroid problems which are very prevalent in my family. My body has been changing over the last year and a half, trouble sleeping, increase hair loss, rapid weight gain and now I can t lose it, I m tired lots, my skin is different (not sure how to describe it), frequent headaches and I think my eyes are getting bigger, one more than the other. What kind of doctor should I be looking for? I am new in the area and don t have a doctor, not have I seen one regularly ever in my life. Can you offer some direction on where to start and what to look for?

doctor1 MD

My 6.5 year old daughter has been dignosed with hypothyrodism .She was active child with normal body weight around 6 month ago. we notice rapid gain around 3 months back .as per her reports T3-.51,FT4-60.00 .should welook for other cause of apart fromhypothyroid.Doctor has started 100 mcg Thyronorm as on today and multivitamins and iron tablets.