Should a balloon sinuplasty be done for recurrent sinus infection?

Hi, I’m wondering if I need balloon sinuplasty. I recently had a sinus infection for about a week, but I suffer from sinus infections and allergies regularly. I got a CT scan showing almost complete blockage of my left cheek sinus cavity and a slight deviated septum. I did still have the cold at the time of the scan, but the doctor said I have chronic sinusitis and wants to perform a balloon sinoplasy and a septoplasty. Do I really need it/would it be worth it? I also have braces that are expanding my jaw, so I feel that it could contribute to my sinus issues as well.
Sat, 21 Jul 2018
Hello and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Balloon Sinuplasty technology uses a small, flexible, balloon catheter to open up the blocked sinus ostium, by inflation with a calibrated pressure gauge. When the sinus balloon is inflated optimally, it gently restructures the sinus ostium by inducing micro-fractures & bony displacement around the occluded ostium, thus circumferentially widening the walls of the ostium, while maintaining the integrity of the sinus mucosal lining around the ostium. Indication of surgery may be chronic sinusitis with blocked sinuses etc. Until examination is done it is difficult to say what it is. Please consult your doctor he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.