Should Protonix be taken twice a day to manage nausea and stomach ache?

My dad was in the hospital and was prescribed protonix 40mg twice a day because he was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and gastritis,he was dismissed and continued with that prescription,but when he went to his follow up appointment with his Gastroenterologist he changed the prescription to 40mg protonix one a day ,he did good for 1 week but after 1 week his symptoms started to come back nausea, stomach pain,unable to eat because of the nausea, the same symptoms that lead him to the hospital. What can we do? Does he still need to be on protonix or does he need maybe 40mg twice a day?
Fri, 1 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Protinex is not the cure for disease it is the protein supplements given for the patient those have hypoprotenimia, generally when patient recovers from the long standing disease, protein supplement being given but it is not the curative medicine, here in this case if the symptom are there then it need to be found out the relapsing of disease, or it could be something else and not due to the previous illness, here infection need to be ruled out you may discuss this with doctor, but it is least concern with Protein supplement.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.