Should Prostonil be discontinued when symptoms of BPH reduce?

I ve been diagnosed with BPH, was prescribed Alfoo 10mg but my nocturia and frequent urination continued unabated. It was very difficult to get a good night sleep. One herbalist prescribed me prostonil 320mg (saw palmetto 320mg standardized extract, 85-95% fatty acids) which I ve been taking over the past three months. Symptoms are at a low now, so my question is shall I stop taking it? Or shall I take it once daily like I took Alfoo 10mg throughout my life?
Thu, 21 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Benign prostatic hyperplasia is the enlargement of the prostate gland that makes urination difficult. Prostonil has been widely used as a therapeutic remedy for urinary dysfunction due to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Even if the symptoms reduce and you feel better, you need to continue the medication, which will keep the symptoms under control. Hence, do not discontinue the medication without consulting your doctor. Do necessary follow-up as advised.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.