Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Should I take my daughter with suspected fish tank granuloma to a doctor or continue with antibiotics prescribed over phone ?

I called my doctor this morning to give him symptons my daughter is having after coming back from the beach and fishing. He is treating her for Fish tank Granuloma. She says that her arm began hurting her on Friday night/Sat. Morning. Yesterday she finally got home and I noticed a white bister which she eventually squeezed it to get the liquid to come out. The doctor has put her on antibiotics and I m wondering if I should take her to the hospital so they can treat it more aggressively?
Asked On : Tue, 9 Aug 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  107
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic.After exposure to sea water, as your physician rightly diagnosed, can be a fish tank granuloma, where a small abrasion to the skin, gives a portal of entry to the bacteria, and infection begins in the form of small granuloma/ blister which subsequently enlarges and causes a bad ache. It might even cause the lymh nodes to enlarge along its course.A course of antibiotics,(preferably a combination of two-best decided by treating physician) for a long period, about 6 mnths or 1-2 months till the blister/lesion subsides completely.Apart from this kind of granuloma, a sea-lice also can be thought about, which is equally painfull with a local reaction.Then again a swimmer's itch is also a possibility. Well the right diagnosis is basically possible only after seeing. Since your daughter is already on treatment, that means, she must have been diagnosed right. So keep your calm, wait and watch. Hopefully it should subside, if not, then you can think otherwise.Hope your query has been answered well.Wish your daughter a quicker recovery.
Answered: Thu, 25 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
The doc who is treating your daughter is right. she just needs antibiotics and the issue will be solved. If there is no improvement even after completion of the whole course of anti biotics or condition worsens, then only think of taking her to another better place.
Thank you.
Answered: Tue, 9 Aug 2011
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor