Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Should I seek medical advice for a swelling superior to my sacrum and coccyx and proximal to the lower lumbar vertebrae back or will it subside ?

Hi, I am a 19 year old female and I have had a swollen lower back for the last six months. The swelling is directly superior to my sacrum and coccyx and proximal to the lower lumbar vertebrae . I have not gone to get it checked out, because I am trying to save money and it is not painful unless I over-excersize or do something to bother it. If i do that then I get a strange numbness in my quadriceps and extreme back pain to the point where i can hardly stand or even move at all. Any ideas to what it is? I am very confused and have studied up a lot, because i was a medical student for a while.
Asked On : Sat, 4 Jun 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  142
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello asela ;
welcome to HealthcareMagic
You need to get examined the swelling on your lowerback to find the reason as to what it is.Asyou said the swelling is painless till you exert but on exertion it causes severe pain and numbness in muscles thereby suggesting that there is some relation to your spine as there is numbness which is due to nerve compression.Waiting long can complicate your problem and may require more money.So please get examined and treated by a Orthopaedician.
Answered: Sat, 4 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
hi welcome,

the area which you mentioned is corresponds to l4-l5 ,l5-s1&s1-s2 area . definitely slight inflation at that area, not the bulged disc.The radiating nature of pain and numbness is due to the stretching of nerve due to the inflammation.

take maximum rest

avoid forward bending

avoid continuous sitting in one position

avoid high healed chapels

avoid constipation if more strain pain will more so that increase fluid in diet

avoid spicy food in excess

avoid pickles and dry foods like deep fried one

for further you can contact since my MD and PhD are both on lower back pain or sciatica

my no is 09895313720
Answered: Sat, 4 Jun 2011
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor