Should Cefixime or probiotics be taken to manage stomach discomfort in a child?

My child had Diarrhea was prescribed flagyl and ciprofloxaxin with new flora probiotic. After all the course of medicine was over he had a stool routine examination test showing all normal like no rbc no wbc or mucus but stool was semi formed. After a week this symptoms came back with 3-5 semi formed stools /mushy loose stools with u digested food. Now doc gave him Cefixime again. Should I use it or just use probiotics.
Tue, 10 Jul 2018
Pediatrician, Pulmonology 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It seems your kid is having viral diarrhea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting. You need not worry. There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhea. I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your pediatrician). Regarding diet - You can use cerelac. Any flavor will do. Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements and ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridge and soups. I feel by using so many antibiotics - your kid might be having antibiotic associated diarrhea and you need to use only probiotics (especially Saccharomyces boulardii for this.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.