Should BP medication be continued if blood pressure is well controlled?

I was checked with High blood pressure 6 months ago and my bad cholesterol level was little higher. Since then I have been taking one tablet each of CTD 6.25 and Telma 20 everyday. I was also on medicine for lowering the cholesterol level for three months. Now the cholesterol level is normal and also the blood pressure also normal. Should I still continue the medicine for high blood pressure and for how long period.
Thu, 20 Nov 2014
Hello. Welcome to HCM.
I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Usually blood pressure medicines need to be continued on Longterm basis because after stopping it might be rebound again.

But it is quite possible that it might be a temporary elevation also which can be well controlled by diet and exercise only.

So, my advice to you is if your blood pressure is continuesly remaining below 140/90 mmhg then your doctor can think about making half dosage of the tabs. Then regular monitoring is required with low dosage of drugs. If even with low dosage your blood pressure is normal then you can stop the medicines. But even after that Longterm regular monitoring of blood pressure is required.

Thank you.
Have a nice day.