Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Shin injury, severe bruising, swelling, painful to touch, lump formation. Prescribed antibiotics. Will blood dissipate?

I injured my shin falling a week ago. I went to get it looked at by my doctor who prescribed antibiotics, elevation and compression. He said it looked like close to a pint of blood collected from my knee down showing severe bruising even in my toes. Elevation and compression have reduced swelling but the lump at the impact area of my shin remains and my skin is pretty painful to the touch. Is there anything else I can do? After reusing and elevating my leg when I stand the pain is immediate and severe but passes. Anything I can do to move this along and will the blood collected eventually dissipate? Thanks Jim K.
Asked On : Tue, 8 Oct 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  17
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
From history it appears that you got hematoma developed after shin injury.
Apply ice pack 2-3 times a day.
Go for one antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medicines course for 3-5 days.
Gradually hematoma will be absorbed and you will be alright.
Sometimes if blood collection is more then it may require aspiration with wide bore needle or by small cut over the part.
ok and take care.
Answered: Wed, 9 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor