Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Shin injury due to fall, dark bruise below ankle, swelling. Applied bacitracin. Cure?

10 days ago I fell against a tall concrete step and skinned my shin bone. I have since had bruising in the area and abt 4 days ago, I saw lots of dark blood below my ankle on both sides with some swelling of the outside ankle. I used an ice pack the first evening and several times in the immediate few days following. I have been washing it daily with a non antibacterial natural soap from a health food store and applied bacitracin 2X a day.
Asked On : Sat, 5 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  407
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Bruise which signifies blood clotting usually takes 2-3 weeks to resolve. they resolve on its own. only we need to take care is that they do not get secondarily infected which can sometimes result in abscess formation.
So may advice to you is to elevate your limb most of the times and avoid heavy activity. As you are taking local antibiotics, you should also take some systemic antibiotics for 5-6 days to avoid infections.
There are various formulations in the form of ointments which help in dissolving the clot (bruise) and speed up recovery. you can consult doctor for that. your problem will resolve on its own. Do not worry.
take care.
Answered: Sun, 6 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor