• question-icon

Sharp pain in the lower stomach while sneezing. Could it be hernia?

I had a sharp pain when I sneezed just now in my lower right stomach. I had pains before a few times in the same spot when I bent down to pick something up. It felt just like a leg cramp in my stomach muscle and I had to wait until it stopped cramping before I could move again. My first thought is a hernia but I see or feel no lump there and it probably is not a appendicitis because I have not lost my appetite or had fevers. wondering if I need to go to a doctor. I am a 41 year old female who had kids before and thinking my stomach muscles might just be ruined from the stretching of the babies growing.
Tue, 28 May 2013
Hi ! Sometimes a developing hernia in its initial stages may give rise to such sharp pain on coughing. You may not be able to see any lump initially until the hernia protrudes out.
Any intra abdominal organ when inflamed may give rise to pain in the abdomen with every movement of the abdominal muscles and the parietal peritoneum with it. Appendicitis is an example of it which does not look to be so in your case.
However, if the pain persists and disturbs you in your normal day to day activity, then you may have to consult a surgeon for getting examined clinically and further needful.
Wishing you all the luck.