Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Sharp pain in the back of the throat while swallowing. Have swelling. Persisting symptoms despite taking ibuprofen. Tonsillitis?

I have a sharp pain in the back of my throat on the right side when swallowing . It is also swollen and tender to the touch. Went to a clinic, they prescribed warm salt water gargle and ibuprofen , which I had already been doing. It s been 5 days now and things are worse. Strep test came back neg. I m thinking it s tonsilitis .
Asked On : Tue, 12 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  47
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome ,

After reading your symptoms i can say your are suffering from Acute Tonsillitis which is a bacterial infection or sometimes viral infection seen post flu .

It often shows symptoms of fever , cold , pain and discomfort in throat , white patches on the peritonsillar crypts ,mucus from nose.

i would suggest you to start with Augmentin 625mg along with analgesics with paracetamol twice daily for 3 to 5 days till the symptoms subside .

use lukewarm saline water or antiseptic mouthwash for mouth gargling which will give soothing effect.
drink lot of water and keep yourself hydrated.

If the symptoms do not resolve with antibiotics you need to consult an ENT surgeon.
i hope this helps,
take care.
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Polash Sannigrahi's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello dear...
The symptoms mentioned in your post suggests that you might be having Acute Tonsillitis or Pharyngitis..
Management consists of:
1. Gargle with warm salt water to relieve throat pain.
2. Analgesics like paracetamol
3. Antibiotics depending upon culture & sensitivity reports to remove the causative organism
4. . Antihistamine preparations can also be used to provide symptomatic relief.
If symptoms still will be better to consult an ENT specialist.
There is no need to will be perfectly fine.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks & take care
Answered: Tue, 12 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor