Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Sharp pain in neck and blood in nose. Elevated cholesterol, Prostatic hypertrophy. Suggestion?

I am 70 yo white overweight male with HTN , elevated cholesterol and benign prostatic hyper trophy. Last week while golf I experienced 2 intermittent sharp pains to the left side of my neck . It was severe and stopped me in my tracks. I was not swinging a club but walking between holes. A few days later while showering I had the pain again followed by 4 drops of bright red blood from my nose. I take my BP regularly and it was a bit lower than usual 150/58 and a pulse of 58. I did not experience any other symptoms and feel fine now. Should I see my physician and what other signs or symptoms should I look out for?
Asked On : Sun, 16 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi ,
Welcome to HCM ,
first do not panic ,
stay relax ,
consult your cardiologist and do basic test like ECG , 2D Echo ,
and as per report plan future treatment ,
avoid playing sport at present ,
avoid any heavy physical strain ,
if you get pain in chest then do not even walk during pain , take complete rest ,
avoid heavy meal ,
look for other symptoms like sweating , breathing difficulty , giddiness , uneasyness , palpitation , black out ,
and if you feel any of above symptoms consult your doctor ,
take care
Answered: Tue, 18 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mayank Bhargava's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
Do you have sweating/ squeezing sensation in chest ?
As you are suffering from HTN with raised cholesterol, presence of pain on left side of neck could be due to heart involvement.
Bleeding from nose may be due to raised blood pressure.
As such there is no defined limit of raised blood pressure, beyond which a patient may have bleeding from nose.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist & ENT surgeon simultaneously.
You should also go for ECG and x ray cervical spine for clarification.
You should take proper treatment for raised blood pressure along with raised cholesterol.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Tue, 18 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor