Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Sharp pain in elbow and arm after an injury, swelling. What is wrong?

Something is around with my elbow . I ve broken it before and its normal when it pops every time I straighten it. But yesterday, I hit it on the corner of a window aove the elbow but below the back of the arm . Now, I can barely straighten it without an extremely sharp constant pain. It hurts to lift weight with it. It hurts to touch it. I can t tell if its swollen because when i broke it, it made the bone stick out and its bigger than my other one.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  73
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Based on the description of symptoms, you could have suffered a fracture or a soft tissue injury resulting in hematoma.

An xray of the injured area will diagnose a fracture and it has to be treated accordingly either with a cast or surgery.

If it's only a soft tissue injury, conservative management is followed in the form of -
* Rest to the injured part and adequate support or protection
* Ice packing once in 3 hours to reduce the pain
* elastic compression bandage over the swollen area
* Limb elevation
* analgesic medications as needed

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Wed, 7 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Praveen Tayal's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
After an injury to the elbow, the sharp pain that you are having could be due to a bone injury or a nerve injury in the area. If there is any swelling present then do get an X_ray done to confirm.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Wed, 7 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
It might be soft tissue injury or fracture.
Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.
In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting and rest well.
Wishing you good health...

Answered: Wed, 7 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor