Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Sharp chest pain, heavy breathing, recurring condition. Causes and treatment?

Hi i am 30 years old. 5ft 7 and around 11.5 stone . I have recently been experiencing short sharp pain on my left hand side of my chest . It comes and goes, but hav been experiencing it for a few weeks now. I also have noticed that I am breathing fairly heavy and short of breath more than i should be. I used to run 10ks however th past year i have put on about a stone and not as fit as i used to be.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014

Thanks for posting your query.

Precordial Catch Syndrome (PCS) is the most common cause of recurring chest pain. It is also sometimes known as “a stitch in the side” or “Texidor’s twinge”. The pain occurs just under the left nipple, near where you feel the heart beat most strongly on the front of the chest, and comes on very suddenly.

The pain usually lasts for around 30 seconds to 1 minute before disappearing. Sometimes the pain will suddenly disappear upon taking a strong breath or moving suddenly as well. After the pain is gone, there is usually a dull ache that lingers.

These onsets of pain can occur frequently, sometimes several times a day, and can occur when exercising, resting, or when in virtually any other state.

People experiencing PCS need no particular treatment at all.

The key to getting rid of the pain quickly is to just work up the courage to take that deep breath, scream in pain, and be done with it.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you good health.

Answered: Tue, 16 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pulmonologist Dr. Arnab Maji's  Response
Thanks for your query
Your history of pain is suggestive of pleuritic chest pain
I dont know whether you are a smoker or not.
You need to have a chest x-ray done
Consult a pulmonologist and get locally examined
You may have suffered from COPD also
Go for investigation like chest x-ray, pulmonary function testing as per examination finding and as per your doctor's advice
Thank you
Answered: Tue, 16 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor