Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Severe vomiting, pain while swallowing. Need a cure

I have been throwing up for days, but this time I tried not to and it feels like something is lodged next to my adam s apple, it hurts so badly to swallow . How can I get it out? (I have tried drinking some water which was extremely painful, threw up again, gargled and massaged the area on my throat that it feels lodged)
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  71
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
hello there ,

According to your clinical history i suspect you have suffering from acute pharyngitis .

It is inflammation of the throat mucous membrane caused by bacterial or sometimes viral infections seen post flu infection .

It presents with symptoms of sore throat, pain and difficulty in swallowing ,fever ,acid reflux as you have mentioned.

Altered food habits may lead to acid reflux which in turn leads to nausea and vomiting.

i would suggest you to start with antibiotic augmentin 625mg along with analgesics for 5 to 7 days which helps in subsiding the throat inflammation.

For vominting you can start with anatacids like pantaprazole with antiemetics which gives relief.

maintain good oral hygiene, use lukewarm saline water or antiseptic mouthwash like chlorhexidine or betaine for regular oral rinsing.

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Tue, 2 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Sunil 's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.
Difficulty in swallowing and vomiting suggest you may be having GERD in which stomach acid is refluxed into esophagus causing heart burn, sore throat and irritation. Inflamed pharynx and esophagus can cause difficulty in swallowing and sense like food stuck.
However, you should also rule out any other muscular, neurological or obstructive cause of swallowing, which can be diagnosed by endoscopy, barium swallow etc
You are advised to visit your doctor and get treatment after physical examination.
Hope it helps.
take care!
Answered: Tue, 2 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor