Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Severe toothache, rinsed with alcohol. Swelling and burning in hard palate. Is it irritation or infection ?

Hello can I ask a question?
2 days ago i had one big toothache....painkillers didn't help, so i started rinsing my mount with alcohol (votka) to relieve the pain. I kept the vodka in my mouth for 10 minutes at a time throughout the whole evening (So i had votka in my mount 3 hours non stop....not swallowing, just rinsing). But since then my hard palate burn and is filled with red patched, and my gums on the side where I rinsed are swollen and have are red, like bleeding gums. Did the alcohol cause another infection or is this "just" irritibility? Drinking and eating is very painful, cause even the sligtest touch makes my hard palate burn very badly:(
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  246
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM,

Tooth ache indicates bacterial decay or infection in the tooth that involves the exposed tooth nerve tissues .

such infected tooth needs to be treated by a root canal procedure so please consider getting the treatment done by consulting a dentist.

you may need a X RAY examination done for your teeth to confirm the spread of infection.

i would suggest you to start with antibiotic Augmentin 625mg along with analgesics like aceclofenac two times daily for 3 to 5 days .

Swelling and burning sensation in the hard palate is due to prolonged use of alcohol , this will subside with time dont worry.

discontinue the use of alcohol , apply oral antiseptics like dentogel topically over the affected area.

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

severe pain in your teeth is due to pulpitis.

that is, the pulp tissue is exposed to noxious stimuli.for this you should visit your dentist and get an x ray done.

x ray will help you to see the extent of periapical infection.based upon that if required root canal treatment can be started.

symptoms related to your palate are due to prolonged exposure to alcohol.this will take time to heal.

you can apply dologel locally in the affected area.

After, your dentist consultation you can start antibiotics and analgesics.

hope it helps.

take care.

Answered: Mon, 8 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome to hcm,
The toothche may be due to dental caries/periodontal infection or pericoronitis of tooth.
Please do not use alcohol in such condition,as it can worsen the condition of infected tooth.
A thorough clinical check-up is required and x-ray can be used to decide the treatment.
Get your decayed teeth filled.
Teeth can be cleaned and root planning can be done if required.
Take complete course of antibiotics.
Maintain good oral hygiene.
Hope this helps.
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Use of alcohol had caused irritation of the oral mucosa , causing burning , pain and swelling.

Tooth ache &Swelling indicates infection of the tooth that had spread to the periapical tissue leading to faormation of abscess.
Visit to the Dentist get the clinical evaluation done take an x-ray of the affected tooth, you have to undergo Root canal treatment of the tooth followed by prosthetic crown placement.
Take tab Augmentin 625mg and tab aceclofenac twice for three days till you see the dentist.

You are not supppose to gargles with alcohol as it may cause irritation, now at home use lukewarm saline gargles 3-4 times a day to give a soothing and numbing effect, use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Mon, 8 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor