Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Severe sciatic pain, MRI shows stenosis, bulging disk. Zpack provides temporary relief. Surgery ?

i have been having severe sciatic pain for 4 months, mri showed stenosis and bulging disk L 4-5, have taken zpack whiched helped 3 days and having pain again, my doctor has ordered and epidural,,wondering if this is wise, or should i go for surgery. or will the epi be enough. will i eventually need surgery.. i have such spasms that i cant walk at times.
Asked On : Tue, 8 Oct 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  22
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting your query.
The pain is related to the slipped disc and pinching of the nerve at the lower back.
Initial treatment consists of medications such as pregabalin and gabapentin. Physiotherapy is also helpful.
If the pain does not improve with above, then epidural injections and surgery are the next options.
Epidural is a standard procedure, and I think you should go for that now. Surgery can be reserved for last.
I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My blog:

Answered: Tue, 8 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor