Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Severe right calf pain, inability to walk. Smoker, history of bilateral mammectomy. Reason for the pain?

The last few Weeks I have had aweful pain in my right calf . So sudden, I never frly such horrible pain. It s very hard to take a step. when I first wake up I can t even stand on it the pain shoots up and down front and back and I n barely walk but as the day progresses it s subsides than comes right back when I take a step. Thank you for any answers you may have. ... Bernadette I do smoke a lot of cigarettes and I am 37 years old. I had a biletural mammectomy other than that, I am very healthy.
Sat, 11 Aug 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The acute pain in the calf might be related to a decreased blood circulation in the calf due to prolonged smoking. You need to get a color doppler study done for your calf to know the cause. Avoid smoking at all costs.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor