Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Severe, painful squeezing edsensation in chest, fatigue. How to get cur


The other night I had a severe, painful squeezing sensation in my chest while I was laying down in bed. This lasted for several minutes. Now, I feel a sort of warm, liquid sensation that is somewhat difficult to describe. I've been feeling incredibly fatigued lately as well.

I'm not quite sure what to do with this. I'm hesitant to go to the ER because it would be embarrassing to be told it's just stress and to waste people's time like that... however, it was pretty scary and this current sensation is very strange.
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Answers:  5 Views:  44
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
thanks for using health cae magic.
You should go to ER to rule out the physical causes of your symptoms. Once it is clear that is is becuase of the stress, you should do two things.
1) be happy that is is becuase of stress only and not becuase of any physical problems
2) consult psychiatrist fro the stress management and detailed evaluation.
your psychiatrist may prescribe anti depressant or anti anxiety drugs or may refer you for a sessions of councelling,
meanwhile you can try stress management exercise like relaxation techniques , yoga, meditation or self motivation.
avoid use of excessive csffine, nicotine or alchohol which may in turn , increase anxiety.
I hope you will be fne soon.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your given history in detail.
It depends a lot on your age. If you are in your 40s-50s it can be a serious cardiac condition and should not be missed. You shouldn't be embarrassed to visit the ER as ECG is the only way things can be confirmed. Moreover even if it is stress related, which can very wellbe, then as a doctor they are supposed to diagnose and relieve the pain for you.Think of taking a threadmill test to diagnose any stress related changes on the ECG.
The other possibility is that it can be a gastritis and reflux disease. You should take a course of ranitidine or rabeprazole. You should avoid spicy food until then.
If it is stress related, do visit a psychiatrist who can evaluate for depression and start you on some drugs which will help in improving your mood.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

I understand your hesitation to go to the ER however you do need to go to the ER because it would only help with getting your complete assessment and giving you the right diagnosis and treatment. Please reach out for help with a friend or family member who can accompany you as this can be tremendously helpful. I hope this helps.

Take care and have a lovely day!
Answered: Sun, 14 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Amar A Rathi's  Response
Hi ajrainbow,
Welcome to HCM Forum.
Considering hesitancy to visit ER to be told its just stress ,conveys that u had similar episodes in past if I am not wrong and had similar answers.
What episodes described by u is typical of Panic attack ( Manifested by sudden onset chest pain,chest tightness,palpitation,tingling numbness in extremities,with generalized weakness , dryness of mouth and impending doom i.e. something bad will happen with my life.
This is episodic and episodes last for few second to minutes and settles its own.
This condition is fully treatable and has neurochemical disturbances as its cause and not only stress(So most of time ECG and Blood -cardiac related investigations comes normal) .
So If u not thoroughly investigated before this for such episode please get it done and then meet to nearest Psychiatrist to avoid further such episodes.

Hope this helps. Best Regards.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You have not stated your age, gender, personal habits, family history or co-morbidities
The pain is not very typical, yet it is better to exclude Coronary Artery Disease - EKG & Enzymes.

There need be no hesitation to go to ER
You ought to have a diagnosis...
Don't be embarrassed; Go and see the doctor...
Better be safe than sorry - treated if a problem is found / Happy, if it turns out otherwise

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor