Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Severe pain, unable to bite solid food, swollen and tender area behind ears. Histroy of jaw clicking. No relief with dental splints. Advice

Hi! I am a 24 y/o F.
I have jaw clicking since I was a kid ( 10-12 yrs of age). But now over the last few years it has worsened. There is severe pain, I am unable to bite solid food comfortably also, ear feels full on the same side ( right) and the area behind my ears is swollen and tender.
I have been wearing dental splints for the last few months but it has not been helpful.
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  46
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dentist 's  Response
hi there
thanks for asking your query

jaw clicking is a disorder which is caused either due to any injury which cause a strong blow at jaw part
malocclusion,clenching,grinding and abnormal chewing.

treatment option includes mouth guard as it will protect abnormal grinding
other inexpensive treatment is TMJ exercise,it will relax the muscles and make it stronger
Close our mouth allowing your tongue to touch your palate. With your mouth closed, move your tongue back. Now slowly open our mouth until your tongue moves away. Let your mouth be open till a count of ten. This is repeated twice.
consult your dentist too for more advanced exercises
hope this will help

Answered: Sat, 27 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.
Your temporomandibular joint is dislocated and inflamed.
This results in pain and swelling around the ear.
Please avoid opening mouth too widely.
Avoid harsh chewing ./biting foods.
Your jaws has to be immobilized.
Intermaxillary fixation or tmj approximation has to be done .
Please do visit an oral surgeon regarding this.
An OPG radiograph will help to evaluate the condition underlying.
I wish you good health.
Answered: Sat, 27 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

According to your symptoms i suppose that you are suffering from TMJ Disfunction, it can also cause pain around ears, tenderness in the jaws, and can lead to difficulty in mouth opening and pain on chewing.
For treatment of TMJ syndrome;
Inflammatory medications along with muscle relaxant can be given.
Apply moist heat towels on both the sides of the jaw as many times as possible.
Take soft diet, avoid wide opening of mouth during yawning, laughing.
In some cases bite splint therapy can be given.
Follow the instructions given by the Dentist properly.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Sat, 27 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Your Temporo-mandibular joint needs checking...
In view of the long duration, X-rays and blood tests are necessary.
Rheumatologist is the specialist to see

Ears also have to be seen... is the swelling cellulitis or lymph node?

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Sat, 27 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor