Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Severe pain in tooth upper 5, advised root canal, antibiotic Ciploxtz. Any alternatives to root canal ?

i had seere pain in tooth upper 5_|.the dentist advised root canal . and antibiotic question is is the root canal only alternative? can t I go for extraction? direct. I am aged 68 and I have consume ciplox in tons during my life as I suffer from frequent colitis . would it help? I have sever abscess also. or can I use oflaxcin + ornidazole which suits me.
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013
Answers:  8 Views:  103
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Dentist 's  Response
choice is yours. both rct and extraction will solve your problem, but extraction would leave you with one less tooth . yes you may use ofloxacin ornidazole combination. i can't find any reason except monetary to prfer extraction over root canal treatment
Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.
yes you can go for extraction and this is alternative for rct.
it all depends on you but iwill advice to save the tooth if is not grossly decayed.
yes you can continue taking oflaxcin and ornidazole
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hi and welcome ,
Antibiotic coverage will give temporary relief , you need to go for treatment for permanent relief either root canal procedure or extraction.

root canal procedure is done after taking a X ray of the tooth and considering its PROGNOSIS, the procedure will remove the infection , devitalize the tooth and save it permanently.

If you really have mobile teeth with poor prognosis , it is better to go for extraction of the tooth.
Later the missing space can be restored with a prosthesis or artificial tooth .

visit a dentist and get the abscess drained as it may spread to the underlying structures like jaw bone and sinus if not treated in time.

i hope this helps,
take care.
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
Extraction of the tooth is the most common alternative to root canal treatment to avoid any complications arising from the infection of the pulp. If you do not want to or can’t get root canal treatment done its better to get it removed. The cost or simplicity of extraction might seem to be a good alternative to the expensive root canal treatment to save the natural tooth. But this solution might not be the simplest or the least expensive treatment in the long run.
If you opt for tooth extraction instead of root canal treatment, then you have to get the missing tooth replaced.You can discuss his treatment plan before choosing tooth extraction instead of root canal treatment.
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Thanks for sharing your concern with us
Alternative treatment for RCT is extraction but it is not a good option.
First choise is to save the tooth.
Visit the dentist and if possible save it ,otherwise go for extraction.
You can contact me again directly through my profile.
Dr Neha Gupta
Answered: Sun, 17 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend, thanx for sharing your concern,

you can go for either RCT or EXTRACTION , but extraction will leave you with an empty space , reminding you of your lost tooth . over a period of time adjacent teeth shift towards the empty space. some times chewing is also affected.

later, if you visit dentist to replace it, you will be advised to go for three unit bridge.

that is why, it is better to save a tooth which has good prognosis.

some times the tooth itself is mobile and even if you want to go for RCT the dentist says, it is better to go for extraction .
so i leave the choice to you .

if ofloxacin plus ornidazole suits you , go for it, no harm.
hope this helps, thanx
Answered: Sun, 24 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. HARISH GUPTA's  Response
After reading your question, I think it would be better to go for Extraction directly after checking other medical history, instead of oing for RCT at the ge of 68. If you do not want to go save your tooth, and if pus is too much go for extraction.
thank you.
Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

  User's Response
yes you can take oflox+ornid .if you are not willing for rct then extraction is the last option.after extraction you can go artificial tooth.either removable or fixed depends upon your oral condition.
take care
Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor