Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Severe pain in the back. Difficulty inn walking and coughing. Prescribed with antacid and diclofenac. Pain radiating to legs. Is this sciatica pain?

hi there i been having a massive pain starting from the lower lumbo saccral region i cant sit for long since sunday night all of a sudden. neither i can walk properly and micturation is very difficult including coughing. i have seen a surgeon he has given me antacid and diclofenac twice daily...the pain has subsidized as off now till the effect of painkillers but if i stop taking them the pain resurfaces back again although not like the one i had 3 days before but its like a chronic pain and it goes down the legs?has been advised a week of complete bed rest . just want to know is it a sciatica pain?
Asked On : Mon, 10 Sep 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  73
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
You are most likely suffering from prolapsed intervertebral disc or cauda conus syndrome.
Do you have radiating pain in lower limbs/ weakness in lower limbs?
You should consult with orthopedic surgeon/ neurosurgeon and should go for x ray lumbo-sacral spine as preliminary investigations.
You should also go for CT/ MRI scan lumbo-sacral spine for better clarification.
You should do strict bed rest.
You should take pain killers with serratiopeptidase and chymoral forte for reducing swelling.
You should stop sitting & lying down on floor.
If not treatable with medicines then you should go for surgery.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Tue, 11 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
From your description is very suggestive for low back pain with sciatica ( your pain radiate down to legs , this is neuralgia specific for sciatica ). Mostly caused by nerve root compression due to intervertebral disc pathology. In sever cases may appear stabbing, burning pain, limitation in movements, sensory and motor deficits ( numbness, weakness), etc.. Very easy to determine by MRI or CT scan plus Nerve conduction studies (that will show you exactly affected level). You may continue diclofenac with antacids or in persistent pain try analgesics such acetaminophen with codeine, or hydrocodone, plus local anti-inflammatory creams ( voltaren, icy hot, deep heat, finalgon , etc. ) plus hot packs, gentle massage. Additionally once or twice a year physical therapy. Total , strict bed rest is advisable only for 2 days ,because prolonged immobilization may worsen pain and extend recovery time, you have to start your daily activities as soon as possible and avoid lifting heavy weights, rapid movements in torso, bending, etc.. carry lumbar belt.
I wish you good luck and speedy recovery,
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Answered: Tue, 11 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Neurologist Dr. Piyush Ostwal's  Response
The description of pain does sound like sciatica pain. Since it started all of a sudden, you should undergo investigation for the cause like slipped disk. Probably an MRI will be needed to ascertain the level and extent of disk bulge. What makes it more worrying is that micturition is also difficult and so compression may be severe. Complete bed rest is a good suggestion by your doctor. Stick to it.
Good luck.
Answered: Wed, 12 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor