Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Severe pain in arm. Not cured after taking bayer aspirin. What could be causing this pain?

I have a severe aching pain in my left arm that radiates up through the forearm stopping at the joint of my elbow . The pain gets worse if i move my elbow. This pain just started earlier, about 9 hours ago and has gotten worse over time. Originally, the pain started in my fingers on the left hand . I played flag football earlier in the day. So far I have taken one 325mg Bayer aspirin and used topical creams to try to ease the pain and nothing has worked. What could be causing this pain to occur in my arm?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  39
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Welcome to the forum.
I have read your query in detail. The symptoms you have described are more likely to be symptoms of muscles strain.
To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fomatation at the site.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
4. Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles. Give proper time for the injury to heal.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Thu, 28 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response
Dec 2014
Hello there
Welcome to HCM
sudden onset pain just after playing football is most likely due to the injury or pull on some muscle. As you are not getting proper relief with aspirin and topical creams then there is high possibility of some muscle pull or injury.
- first of all don't try to put weight on that limb.
- take diclofenac tablets as these work best with muscle injury
- application of ice packs will not only decrease any swelling but also improve pain.
- if still pain persists the visit a good orthopaedic doctor and take opinion.

Hope I cleared your query, take care.
Answered: Wed, 27 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor