Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Severe pain due to kidney stones. Discharge of white sand like substance through urine. Does she have to go to a nephrologist?

My grown daughter (age 23) has had kidney stones for 5 years. She has passed many stones in those 5 years. This weekend she experienced the worst pains she has ever experienced. She began passing a white, think sandlike substance for several days She would experience horrible pain and pressure and then push and the substance would release in clumps. I am very worried about her . We have made an appointment at her urologist , but not expecting anything because they rarely have any answers for her. I was wondering if we should consider going to a nephrologist instead of a urologist. I am beginning to think we may be dealing with something in addition to kidney stones. Do you have any ideas of where we should turn at this point.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  150
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Urologist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
It could be chyle(fat globules) or turbid urine.
Urologist is the best pErson to see, not because i am one, but we are the ones to do surgical procedure if required. But there is no harm in seeing a nephrologist as well.
She needs urine analysis, culture, urine for chyle, renal function tests and IVP/CT scan.
Based on the results treatment can be started. If pain is severe, obstruction can be relieved by a stent.
Best regards
Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor