Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Severe pain due to ear drum bursting, no relief with medicines. What should be done?

Hi, on Tuesday afternoon I started to get sore ears so I went to the doctors and they told me I had an ear infection and gave me ear drops then all night on Tuesday I had sever pain when blood started coming out of my right ear so I went back to doctors and he told me that he suspects my right ear drum had burst and left is badly infected so he gave me some antibiotics . How ever I m still in a lot of pain in both ears and don t know how to sleep without it hurting. What should I do?
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
Hello and welcome to HCM,

I have understood your concern about the bleeding ear and the severe pain.

In all probability you would have had either an infected canal or the ear drum which would explain the pain and the blood.

This type of infection may take anywhere between two weeks to two months to heal and depends on the treatment and how you kept your ears during this period.

In such cases I would generally give a course of antibiotic like the amoxycillin-clavulanate 625m twice daily after food for five days. Your doctor will know about this.
Since you have already started an antibiotics then you may continue the same. However you may ask the doctor for giving you injection for faster and better symptom relief.
You should avoid putting any drops in the ears
You should not allow even a single drop of water to enter the ear
You should not try to clean or meddle with your ear.
Get an audiometry done for treatment and follow up

take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Fri, 6 Sep 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor