Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Severe pain after a fall, restricted movement. Has a lumbar facet joint with hypertrophy. Could it be the cause?

I slipped and fell on my right side. I did not know I had a lumbar l5 facet joint with hypertrophy . I had never had pain there before the fall. Right after I fell, my right lumbar area was extremely painful, and my range of motion was very bending forward or side to side, or arching my back backward. Since I didn t have any pain there before the fall, could the fall have caused more damage or jarred the facet joint causing this pain? I also have numbness down my entire right leg to my outer toes. Thank you
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  34
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

It seems from your description that might have sustained a traumatic rupture of the lumbar intervertebral disc causing compression of the nerve root resulting in radicular symptoms (tingling and numbness) in your entire right leg.

The initial management of your problem will be as follows -

* avoid lifting heavy weights
* avoid forward bending activities
* Use a lumbosacral back support
* Intermittent pelvic traction which causes a regression of the protruded disc
* Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese
* Physiotherapy to strengthen your back muscles. Physiotherapy has to be done only after the acute pain has subsided.
* Judicious use of analgesics and muscle relaxants.

If you fail to have any improvement in your symptoms, then an MRI scan of Lumbar spine is needed to diagnose the exact problem.

Consult an orthopedic surgeon and follow his advice.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Tue, 23 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor