Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Severe oozing from teeth located next to extracted tooth, burning pain, tingling and numbness. Any ideas?

I had a tooth extracted a year ago. It has never been right. Been to oral surgeon, dentist , periodontist, ENT, ER, neurologist , even oral and maxifacial at Mayo clinic. they think trigenial nerve/atypical face pain etc. I am not sure if that is right. it feels like all the oozing (but nothing is there) is coming out of 2 teeth located next to extracted tooth area. It is like Zootz is an explosion of something coming out of my burns. my lips tingle and are numb. my teeth feel like they have holes in them. they ache all the time. the taste is like alum foil, metal, blood combined. It feels like there is something stuck in my gum where i had tooth taken out. Any ideas? would a oral pathologist be able to help? can teeth get diseased? all my tests have come back negative. the gabapentin made no difference, and now i am on tegretol which makes no difference at all.
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013
Answers:  5 Views:  177
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query
....the symptoms you are mentioning is absolutely normal....this king of tingling sensation would remain for 12-15 days or even more and would come down gradually....when you have the nerve supplying your gums and tooth very close to the tooth of removal, some amount of pressure is exerted and causes altered sensation that manifests in the form of tingling sensation.
An orthopantomograph [OPG] X-ray will help you to know the extent of the lesion and the possible consequences. If the numbness is due to an abscess, it should be relieved after a course of antibiotics. If it is secondary to an existing lesion, then it has to be treated accordingly. I would suggest that you consult your dentist for the same.
Answered: Tue, 26 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Thanks for writing to us.

Oozing from teeth may be due to spread of abscess into adjacent tissue spaces through the extraction socket.

Pus has to be drained and curetted well.

If necessary,root canal treatment has to be done.

Take complete course of amoxycillin to prevent underlying infection.

Irrigate the area with betadine solution.

Meanwhile,gargle frequently with warm saline.

Maintain oral hygiene well.

Take care.
Answered: Thu, 18 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend ,
thanx, for sharing your concern,

if you feel like any fluid is oozing out of your teeth , located next to your extraction socket. then i would suggest you to go for IOPA (xray) .

that would show any underlying abscess or infection there , which is not evident to bare eyes.

you feel holes in the teeth that could be the unfilled cavities , even this can be detected with the help of xray and clinical examination.

simultaneously get an OPG done to understand any pathology associated. (cyst , tumor or infected teeth).

it will help you to assess supporting structure too, that is periodontal health. it can also be assessed check for bone level around various teeth.

also get your TMJ examined. and look for TMJ pathology in your xray.
this should help.
Answered: Mon, 25 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

According to your clinical symptoms i suspect that you have developed infection from the adjacent tooth.
I would encourage you to visit to the Dentist and get the checkup done take an x-ray of the affected tooth.
Root canal treatment can be performed.
Go for complete mouth scaling and polishing.
Take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses.
Maintain a very good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps out,

Answered: Wed, 31 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hi and welcome to HCM,
After reading your history i would suggest you to get an OPG radiograph done which will show the condition of both upper and lower jaws ,associated vital structures , all the teeth ,underlying bone condition, bone loss and bone levels and level of gums.
If there is any infection in your teeth and oozzing as you have mentioned can be treated by draining the abscess followed by root canal treatment of the affected teeth.
If there is periodontal infection thorough deep scaling of gums ,currettage and root planing will help in resolving the problem.
any nerve defect , cysts or tumours can also be detected.
i hope this helps,
take care.
Answered: Wed, 13 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor